Wednesday, June 21, 2017

First Post

Sorry for the late start to this blog.  My thoughts from the first module both reading and the class interactions are pretty cohesive.  It's neat to be a part of a group or class that is interested in using mediums that perhaps may be foreign or clunky to us, but so seamless and intuitive for students.

The Conquering the Content reading got me thinking about a book I read during graduate school.  What The Best College Teachers Do, by Ken Bain.  This book was impactful on many levels, how teachers design class, how do they anticipate learning styles, how to treat students, etc.  The Conquering the Content reading and the 10 Principles of Effective Online teachings, fit this same mold, but are concentrated on the mode of transportation of knowledge as well, which I am excited about.

As an undergraduate student I attended a major state university and had a taste of online learning in multiple classes, some done well, some done very poorly.  I'm excited to find ways to incorporate my experiences as an online student into the teaching aspect as well.

Bottom line, good teaching is good teaching no matter the medium, and those principles don't change. However I think particular mediums can streamline efficiency and reach a wider audience and capitalize on different learning styles more effectively as well.

Excited to be a student and learn these next couple of weeks.

-Adam Conway

2 comments:

  1. Since you have had experiences done well, and not so well, I was wondering what aspects from the reading were they following, or not following. Are there certain of the items that are more important or even absolutely required, while others might have more flexibility in their importance or how they might be accomplished?

    ReplyDelete
  2. John sorry for the delayed response, I've been traveling. The best online experiences I had were with teachers who promoted active learning and faculty to learner interaction. It gave the impression (or the reality) that they cared more about me as a student. I think treating students as people who have there own thoughts, experiences, understandings, and meeting them where they are at is critical for good teaching. You don't have to agree with them but they need to know they are heard and that there opinion matters. The courses I took that were poor experiences, there was little personal interaction and I was a number not a person.

    ReplyDelete