Monday, June 26, 2017
Module 2
Excited to incorporate some of the new material and course mapping with my Anatomy course. Really want to streamline the information delivery process. Also want to be able to have freedom within material and add elements of student control in the class. Feel good about the parameters set and interested to incorporate more technology and mediums into it to expand our impact to different learning styles. Feally want to get the information across to all students and allow students to learn the material at their own pace while incorporating real world applications, which isn't always easy in Anatomy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I appreciate your effort to incorporate application while also trying to allow students to learn at their own pace. This can be difficult, especially if the application involves groups.
ReplyDeleteThere are significant challenges with the human biology class since it is listed as biology and core which makes a large diversity in student background. You also have a lab with the class which you do not teach. How does that coordination between class and lab work, especially in light of the technology and on line applications from BOLT?
ReplyDeleteAlthough there are many good technology tools I still find it difficult to imagine that type of biology class without some kind of 'hands dirty' approach.
John, I wish I could tell you the lab and the lecture work seamlessly together. The content of the lab can vary based on the preference of the lab instructor and their background. I try to sit down with him or hand provide a framework for what we are covering over the course of the semester and when. The students lab grade is incorporated into their final overall class score as a percentage (25%). It's rather clunky now, but down the line I can see some benefit of adding more online elements; either allowing me more time in class to prep students for the upcoming lab by putting the lecture online, or having parts of the lab actually online through interactive media.
DeleteGetting 'hands dirty' I believe is essential to these courses, and will always be a great way to learn the material. How to maximize class time for those activities is the biggest challenge to this course and the BOLT strategies are giving me a lot to chew on
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete