Screencast-o-matic. Awesome. - I've already been putting this into work this morning, with my correspondence with my athletes for summer lifting. I'll be incorporating this tool with football, strength &conditioning as well as the courses.
Copyright laws and usage- still fuzzy on the details, but get the idea, the Fair Use Evaluator tool should come in handy. I haven't done a lot of material use that hasn't already been authorized by the publishing company, but can see the benefit to creativity and engagement being able to use mainstream media in the teaching.
Chunking the content- this has been a goal of mine in every course I've taught. It's good to get further reassurance that you can cut material and eliminate items. All the information may be good to know, but what is going to stick long term. I'm also toying with the idea of spending a bigger chunk of class time focusing on how to study, remember material, and how to process ideas. Those are items I think we as teachers sometimes assume our students have down, at least I do.
Adapting Conventional Instruction- chart and list were helpful, I need to do more exploring into technological alternative.
Another thought I've been convicted of is I need to become a better story teller with the course material. Stories give facts meaning, don't know exactly how I'm going to implement it but am convinced that technology can help.
Adam,
ReplyDeleteGood thoughts here. I especially agree with your points about teaching students how to study and process information. That stood out to me in the readings as well, and I believe the more intent-ful we are about helping students with processing information and not just feeding them content, the better they will learn.
The story telling piece was also a good reminder. In a way, I consider it illuminating concepts into our students' minds.